Wednesday, November 11, 2009

H is for Honor

I taught a lesson to fifth graders this week about Veteran's Day and the origins, that it used to be Armistice Day when a cease fire was declared on the western front during WWI , and over the 2 days I taught I read two really good books I wanted to share.

The first is H is for Honor: A Military Family Alphabet. It is such an excellent book to read as it really helps put more detail to the topic for kids who may not be familiar with the topic. I also plan on sending this to the children of a couple of Jeremy's friends for Christmas.

The second is America's White Table. I had never heard of the setting of one of these little tables until I read this book so I fully intend on having one set in my classroom next year at this time. At the end of the book the little girl draws a picture to put on the table so I had each student draw one and then we put them in envelopes and mailed it to the local VFW and AMVETS.

And looking for these books on Amazon to put links up I found another that I plan on buying to have in my "little bag of tricks." It is The Wall and it is about the Vietnam War Memorial.

Again, I want to thank every veteran and service member out there. It is an amazing sacrafice and I am so very grateful for it!

No comments: